Theta Zeta Wins 2009 Lion’s Trophy!
Thanks to a cooperative effort from Theta Zeta Dekes, both past and present, and the application essay of Vice President, Aaron Berger ’10, the Lion’s Trophy is headed to Berkeley. In a split decision with Delta Chi Chapter of Cornell, Theta Zeta will be receiving the honor for the first time in recent memory.
This honor stands as a testament to our Chapter’s tradition, established over our 130 year history at UC Berkeley, in addition to our continual desire to improve. Theta Zeta has always been, and remains to be, an integral part of the Greek, Local and UC Berkeley Communities. Allow me to list a few of our more recent accomplishments:
- In the last 7 semesters, 7 different members of our Chapter have served on the Inter Fraternity Council, including last year’s President, Max Schorer ’10, whose initiatives have remained in the transition to the next President.
- In the past 6 semesters, the average size of the pledge classes has increased ~85%.
- Members have taught DeCAL courses to other Greeks, such as B.E.A.R.S., a program designed to emphasize the
dangers of alcohol abuse.
- This past fall, we implemented our first Parents’ Night, hosting the parents of the brothers for dinner, setting up a tradition of maintaining close relations with Chapter families. Plans for continuing this event in the upcoming Fall semester are in the making.
- For the past 4 years, members of the Chapter have organized the student aspect of the Sports 4 Kids mentoring program based out of Rosa Parks Elementary School.
- Some members have taken part in the Sage Project, a mentoring program that travels to Berkeley and Oakland elementary schools.
- For the past several years, numerous members have annually participated in the Pappy’s Boys program, giving
tours of the Campus to underprivileged children before a football game.
- Last year, the entire Chapter participated in Rebuilding Together – Oakland, helping to convert an old storage warehouse into a new youth center.
- This past winter, Chapter members organized and initiated the Delta Kappa Epsilon Bicycle Recycle, donating bikes to the International Rescue Committee to aid refugees.
- Last year, the Chapter hosted the Durham University Rugby Football Club the week of their contest with the Cal Rugby Team.
- Several members have earned Leadership Award Alumni Scholarships from the University for demonstrating “innovative, motivational leadership impacting their academic, work, or community environments”.
- 10 out the last 13 members to apply to the prestigious Haas School of Business were admitted with 3 more expected next Spring.
- Our Chapter has an increasing GPA, which ranks 7th out of the 37 fraternities and ranks above the IFC, Greek, Undergraduate Men, and Undergraduate averages.
As you can see, the Chapter has contributed greatly to the Community in recent years and we have only begun to demonstrate our willingness to improve. With experienced officers in place and a completely full house, we expect another successful semester in the Fall.
In The Bonds,
Gregg Irving ’10
Delta Kappa Epsilon, Theta Zeta Chapter